Sunday, October 30, 2016

Leaf Pruning

I’ve let my small trees grow and now it’s time to do a little leaf pruning. The purpose behind leaf pruning is to encourage ramification which is the increase in branching. Another desired effect is growing smaller leaves. With an increase in the number of branches, more leaves mean smaller leaves. I’ve only done partial defoliation on two Green Island Ficus trees by pruning off the largest leaves and that has worked pretty well in reducing leaf size.

I hadn't done any pruning on the cuttings from the Dwarf African Strangler but now they've grown enough to take off a few leaves. In the Spring I'm planning to try a root over rock style with one of these and probably re-potting the other two out of their training pots. 



Before Pruning

After Pruning


No comments:

Post a Comment